George Mueller’s 6 steps
1. I seek at the beginning to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in regards to a given matter.
2. I do not leave the result to feeling or simple impressions.
3. I seek the will of the Spirit of God through or in connection of the Word of God. The Spirit and the Word must be combined.
4. I take into account providential circumstances.
5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me.
6. Thus through prayer to God, the study of the Word and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgement according to the best of my ability and knowledge, and if my mind is thus at peace and continues so after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordinly.